VP Regulatory Counsel & Government Relations
Reporting to the Executive Vice President and General Counsel, this important role has responsibility for advising and providing counsel to the business regarding key regulations, regulatory, legislative and public policy matters, and developing, overseeing and executing the global government relations strategy and program.
This role collaborates with all areas of the business to advance strategic initiatives, provide industry thought leadership on public policy issues, monitor all legislative and regulatory activities that impact the company to identify opportunities and mitigate risks, and directly advocate with lawmakers, public officials, and staff to influence legislation, regulations and public policy initiatives impacting Company’s overall mission to protect people and brands, promote health, and safeguard the environment.
Key Job Activities:
- Provide legal counsel to the business on a broad range of regulatory matters impacting all areas of the business, including environment, transportation, healthcare, privacy and other laws and regulations.
- Represent the company before local, state and federal regulators and government bodies and liaise with business partners regarding legislative and/or regulatory issues.
- Respond to and partner with internal teams regarding regulatory inquiries involving the Company, including reviewing relevant state and federal laws and regulations and managing internal and external resources as appropriate.
- Develop overall strategy and priorities for government relations through engagement with business and executive leadership and develop, oversee and execute a global strategy to maintain relationships with regulators and government officials regarding issues of critical importance to the Company.
- Analyze the impact of state and federal legislative and regulatory proposals on the Company and develop and execute advocacy strategies to drive favorable outcomes for the Company.
- Collaborate with management in the formulation of public policy positions.
- Provide advice, analysis and strategic direction on the legislative and regulatory environment relating to public policy issues impacting the Company.
Key Job Activities (Cont'd)
- Convene and lead working groups of experts on specific areas relating to important issues in response to pending legislation and regulation. Demonstrate the ability to understand the details of these issues and develop a strategic, politically sound organizational position that is supported by our internal experts.
- Draft proposed legislation and regulations and amendments. Prepare arguments, testimony and other materials regarding legislation and regulations. Develop targeted, audience appropriate and persuasive arguments in support of the Company’s position on important issues.
- Provide research and recommendations to management regarding federal and state statutes, regulations, court opinions, administrative procedures and legal proposals which have a significant impact to the organization.
- Protect and grow the corporate brand and reputation and support the Company’s business plan, objectives and initiatives through external communications and external stakeholder engagement.
Required Education: in Juris Doctorate
Experience (North America & LATAM):
- Required Education: Juris Doctor
- Preferred Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or similar applicable field.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience as an attorney in a law firm or company, or in government, focused on regulatory and legislative matters, preferably in highly regulated industries.
- Minimum four (4) years of experience in legislative, regulatory, or government relations, with experience at both the federal and state level, including experience leading successful lobbying campaigns.
- Experience in political campaigns, government and/or working in or advising clients in a highly regulated industry, i.e., healthcare, waste, transportation, energy, or finance preferred.
- Extensive experience successfully leading important issue and policy campaigns.
- Deep understanding of a wide range of communications channels, tools and vehicles.
- Must be able to travel internationally occassionally
- Leadership: Champion of Change and Innovation, Building Successful Teams, Effective Communicator, Promoter of Ethics, Decisive
- Business: Project Management, Process Excellence, Business Acumen, Regulatory Understanding
- Strong interpersonal and oral and written communication skills, including experience interacting with senior leaders
- High integrity
- Strong decision-making, solid judgment, critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and organize work to meet deadlines
- Self-starter with ability to work with limited supervision
- Detail oriented.