Ada S. McKinley Community Services, Inc.
Basic Function: Responsible for recording and reporting financial information accurately and on time while maintaining solid internal controls in all functions of the Controllership to include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Contracts, Grants, Payroll and General Billing.
Reports To: Chief Financial and Administrative Officer
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the agency wide billing and revenue system working with divisional and administrative staff including monthly consolidation reports of all recorded revenue and receivable aging. Including; grants, fee-for-services, fund raising and other revenue streams in all the division and administrative offices. This includes working with behavior health in managing Evolv-CS and Rocs electronic billing system, its submission, rejections, and adjustment process on a bi-weekly basis. Posts billing revenue, weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly on a bi-weekly basis.
- Enhances and implements financial accounting systems, process, tools and control systems.
- Interacts with organization managers to provide consultative support to budget initiatives through financial cost controls, management information analysis, reports and recommendations.
- Ensures compliance to all organization financial policies. Ensures company policies and procedures comply with state, local and government regulations.
- Manages and schedules staff for timely completion of annual external audits; a-133 audit and Federal Uniform Grant Guidance.
- Responsible for all financial and compliance monitoring of sub-recipients and sub-contractors.
- Responsible for preparing and monitoring performance of all contracts, grants and setting key performance indicators.
- Proposes on-going system enhancements, including the integration and linkage of software systems to expedite the monitoring and collection of client's receivables.
- Responsible for cross-training "back-up" staff on a regular basis to ensure no interruptions in the billing and revenue recording process.
- Responsible for staff training and development. Supervises the accounting department system function for all systems, databases and financial software. Analyzes user requirements, procedures, needs and problems to automate processing or improve computer systems through process improvement and review.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Critical Deliverables within the First Year of Employment 2021-2022
- Revamp the accounts payable process to increase accuracy to 90% by the end of the first 90 days.
- Create an accounts payable policy and procedures to ensure accurate account coding and allocation rules are adhered to while safeguarding assets. Build relationships with key stakeholders to help enforce policy and procedures.
- Revamp the AmEx card and Divvy card reconciliation and approval process.
- Assess and fully utilize Great Plains software to streamline/automate the AP process where possible.
- Complete the close and reporting process on time each month by first 90 days.
- Accurate monthly close to be completed, review meetings conducted, and final reports distributed by the 18th business day of the following month.
- Accurate annual close to be completed in time for the financial and HUD audit preparations.
- Complete all Finance-related audits (Financial, GATA, HUD, Single Audit) on time and with no findings by end of each audit cycle. Ensure statutory reporting is completed accurately and on time by end of year one.
- Review and re-balance the audit workload among staff.
- Build relationships with the auditors and statutory reporting partners.
- Ensure all previous year findings have been resolved and are currently being monitored.
- Research and implement new regulations and accounting standards that impact Ada.
- Ensure all statutory reporting is competed accurately and on time.
- Manage the revenue cycle to complete billing on time and decrease overdue accounts to less than 5% of outstanding Accounts Receivable balance by end of year one.
- Work with Finance staff and field staff to streamline billing process by end of year one.
- Work with Finance staff and field staff to devise process for minimizing uncollectible overdue accounts.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and employees.
- Ability to calculate figures, rates, ratios, and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, hear, and to use hands to operate the computer. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Duties are usually performed in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Education: Master's in Accounting, MBA or CPA.
Experience: Minimum 10 years of experience in process improvement, automated revenue billing and financial systems administration with supervisory experience. Previous non-profit experience preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Solid knowledge of relevant GAAP is essential. Must have the inclination to follows rules and procedures and avoid avenues of compromise at the expense of high standards and accepted principles. Earns trust and maintains confidences with consistent ethical standards.
- Exceptional written, listening, and verbal communication skills are required. Speaks plainly and truthfully and writes clearly and succinctly. Seeks to understand others viewpoints. Often solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or constructive feedback regarding individual or team performance.
- Must have strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills. Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities. Efficient and able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
- Ability to organize and analyze statistical data and prepare comprehensive reports as required. Excellent attention to detail. Ensures important items/points do not slip or derail a project.
- Must possess good judgment along with a wide degree of creativity in order to plan and accomplish goals. Follow-through on Commitments: Lives up to verbal and written agreements. Explicitly renegotiates expectations when needed.
- Consistently sets realistic deadlines and follows through on commitments. Lives up to verbal and written agreements. Explicitly renegotiates expectations when needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department heads, other managers, employees and vendors. This will require travel to our various site & program locatio Reaches out to peers/staff and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Must be able to effectively train, mentor, and develop the team. Coach staff in their current roles to improve performance, and prepare them for future responsibilities.
- Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours to get the job done. Sets the example for the team.
- Exhibits passion and excitement over the work. Has a can-do attitude. Committed to the mission of Ada and the team.
- Must be able to work extended hours as needed.
- Proficient with personal computer hardware and various software applications, such as fluency with Microsoft XP Professional, Windows 7, and Microsoft Office Suite 2007 - PowerPoint is a must. Health care software knowledge, such as Evolve-CS (Defran system), Medisoft and Netscape. Microsoft Business Solutions/Dynamic - Greta Plans Release 10.0.; Home Care Management, Medisoft, Netscape, Harmony, EvolvCS (Defran System). Microsoft Business Solutions/Dynamic - Great Plains Release 10.0.
This description documents the general contents and requirements of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhausted statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. The principal duties and responsibilities shown are all essential job functions except for those indicated with an asterisk (*). The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.